If you are looking for a gift for just about anyone, I have the gift idea for you — the Vosges Exotic Caramel Hatbox. Not only is the box very pretty, with it’s two swing out levels and pretty tied ribbon, but it contains come of the best caramels I have ever tasted. There are 2 each of 9 different caramels, ranging from spicy to fruity. Here’s are my tasting notes on each:
- Rosey — Spicy, but not hot. Aromatic floral hint. Caramel rounded it all out and tempered the heat.
- Crema — Mild, nutty. Nice crunch from cashews. Very sweet.
- Leather — Crunchy! Nice touch of bitterness set off by rich, sweet caramelized sugar flavor.
- Tart — Burst of tartness at start. Freshness and brightness from orange. Nice Balance. Not at all boozy.
- Sunshine — Floral. Interestingly slightly sweet & sour.
- Leaf — Bit of astringency. Herbal. Not too sweet.
- Maple — Nutty, nice maple flavor. Mild but not too sweet.
- Verde — Not spicy. Good crunchiness from pumpkin seeds. Slight lingering heat on sides of tongue.
- Blush — Sweet & salty — what’s not to love?
There wasn’t a bad one in the bunch. Even ones that I thought I might not like were exceptionally good. (Rosey with it’s pink peppercorns and rosewater sounded like it might not be my thing — but I loved it!) The combinations were subtle enough that the caramel was never overwhelmed, but strong enough that each caramel definitely tasted unique. I really loved these and would happily eat them again and again.
I was sent these by Vosges for review, but you can purchase them from the Vosges website.